Another week in my CSA and another bunch of rhubarb… what was I to do? I already made pie and every recipe book pretty much told me to make a pie or jam. I needed something different. I needed…. I needed…. cake! Luckily the wonderful naked chef, Jamie Oliver , rode to my rescue with his Rhubarb Stir Cake . Doesn’t this look awesome?
In case you’re wondering, I topped it with a bit of my blueberry/aronia berry/black mulberry preserve I made the other day (I usually put it on pancakes) and some powdered sugar. I know, most people think “rhubarb and strawberry,” but it works really well with blueberries. Now then… onto Jamie’s awesome recipe:
- 1/4 c Butter, softened (not melted)
- 1 1/2 c Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs Vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 c Flour (all-purpose works great here)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 c yogurt (I used Greek thick non-fat yogurt)
- 4 c Rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 c White Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar the best you can (it will be more a mush than a cream, due to how much sugar there is in relation to the butter).
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt, then gradually stir in to butter mixture about a third at a time.
- Fold in yogurt and rhubarb. NOTE: The batter will seem very thick, almost like cookie dough. This is correct, don’t worry… this is how it is supposed to be!
- Spoon the batter into your prepared pan.
- Stir together the white sugar and spices, then sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes (checking every 5 min after 30), or until tester comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares when cool. Eat. Yum!!
That’s all… and it doesn’t taste a thing like Strawberry-Rhubarb pie! I suggest that anyone who has a bunch of rhubarb laying around give this a shot… you won’t be disappointed!