It seems that most people I talk to never know what to eat for breakfast, if they even eat it at all (always eat breakfast… always). I thought I’d give some suggestions based on things I’ve made to eat to get your motor going first thing in the morning (be honest, a PopTart has never gotten you moving). So, let’s get to today’s dish!!
Name: The Egg & Lox Muffin
- 1 English Muffin (I prefer Whole Wheat)
- 1 Large Cherry tomato (Sliced thin)
- 1 oz Neufatel (or Cream) Cheese
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 oz Lox (or your favorite Smoked Salmon… I’m partial to Wild Coho)
- A few slices of Red Onion
- Dash o’ Pepper
- Dash o’ Salt
- Slice your tomato and onion.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat
- When melted, crack your egg and begin cooking. Flip when set and continue cooking to whatever consistency you like (I prefer Over-Medium). When cooked, remove from heat, throw on a dash of salt (not too much, the Lox is plenty salty) and pepper.
- Toast English Muffin, coat both pieces with the cheese when it is done to your liking.
- On the bottom layer put the sliced tomatoes, followed by the egg, the lox, the onion, and finally, the top of the muffin.
- Eat and enjoy!
Quick Nutrition Facts:
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 19.5
- Protein: 22
- Carbs: 30
- Fiber: 4
Not too bad, eh? It’s very fast to make, never more than 10 minutes for me in the morning, pretty filling and it’s also pretty cheap, and while I know everyone’s costs are different, this works out (for me) to be less than $3.00 a day for breakfast (I buy my eggs from a farm, so you can probably even get it cheaper). If you have your own variations, please feel free to share. I’m a fan of capers on here, but they hate staying on the sandwich!